Helpful Hints for Couples
Here at Arthur Murray we specialize in teaching couples to dance.
Teaching couples is different from teaching individuals and requires special care.
Teachers are trained to make learning fun and easy, and you can help by remembering the following:
- Let your teacher do the teaching. This means avoid finding fault with each other which can be distracting.
- It’s not how many steps you know; it’s how you execute them. (You always notice good dancers by how they move, not by how many patterns they do.) Learning too many steps too soon results in bad habits and frustration at not executing them properly.
- In teaching couples, we have learned that men typically progress slower because they have more to do and tend to be more analytical or mechanical. Women, on the other hand, feel movement quicker and therefore, THE LADY MUST TRY TO BE PATIENT AND NOT EXPECT TOO MUCH TOO SOON.
- It’s important to keep your lessons close together, and more importantly to use them in close conjunction with group lessons and practice lessons. Ideally, each visit should be scheduled to include more than one activity. This will aid you in making speedy progress and gaining confidence in your dancing in a shorter period of time.
- Communicate with your teacher so that he or she will know what to teach you and the way you like to be taught. The more we know about your dance needs the better we can plan your lessons now and prepare your future program.
Reviews & Testimonials
See what others have to say about us!
Had an amazing time. The instructors were extremely friendly and very helpful. I look forward to trying out some different dance styles with them here in the near futureOliver P.
Our first dance was perfect! Everyone complimented and the dance made our wedding very memorable. Thank you Danielle and all instructors❤️Boram K.
I had my first lesson, i had most welcoming staff/Instructors ever. The Instructors are very professional, very talented and easy to dance with plys easy to talk too. I give... read moreMarichu L.
We had the best experience here preparing for our first dance! Michael made the most of our lessons, was always professional and taught us so much!Talitha S.
Such a great group of people! I was welcomed in like family and have felt comfortable learning at my pace. Everyone is always so encouraging. I highly recommend this team... read moreAshley B.
my parents out to cousins on to friends.. and oops.. me too! I want to learn..I am teaching folks on wheels.. paired with folkis on their feet!Stacia H.